Looking for expert guidance on how to write your Common Application essay?
Need help choosing a prompt, or knowing that the prompt you’ve chosen is right for you?
Then read on!
This is my 2018 series on How to Write the Common Application Essays. In it, you’ll find professional guidance, tips and techniques to write your best Common Application Essay. I include examples of successful essay topics, too.
My goal is to help you find YOUR story. Because everyone has a story to tell.
Let’s Start with Common Application Essay Basics:
- The 2018 Common Application has seven prompts. You answer one of them.
- The Common App essay must be between 250-650 words.
- You can’t upload more than 650 words.
- Not every school accepts the Common Application, so check every college on your list for its essay requirements.
- Click here for the entire list of 2018 Common App essay prompts.
“Ugh. Why Do I Have To Write This Essay???”
Great Question. Your essay tells the schools something you want them to know about you apart from your courses, grades, and test scores. It’s your opportunity to write about something you care about and has meaning to you. It establishes a personal connection and helps you stand out from the crowd.
Below Are The Links to The Entire “How to Write” Series. You’ll see I’ve written individual posts for each Common App prompt. In each post, you’ll learn about that particular prompt and the keywords, the “do’s and don’ts” of writing that essay, and reasons for why that prompt might be right for you. I also analyze essays written by students so you can see what succeeds (or doesn’t). Here are the links:
- How to Write Common App Essay #1: Background, Identity, Interest or Talent
- How to Write Common App Essay #2: The Lessons We Take from Obstacles
- How to Write Common App Essay #3: A Time When You Questioned or Challenged a Belief or Idea
- How to Write Common App Essay #4: A Problem You’ve Solved or Would Like to Solve
- How to Write Common App Essay #5: Accomplishment, Event or Realization
- How to Write Common App Essay #6: What Makes You Lose All Track of Time
- How to Write Common App Essay #7: Topic of Your Choice
Remember—my goal is to help you find YOUR story. Because you’ve got a story to tell.
I hope you’ll like my Facebook page or leave a comment for me here. I love inspiration!
Sharon Epstein is a Writers Guild Award-winner and two-time Emmy Award nominee, teaching students around the world how to master interview skills, write resumes, and transform their goals, dreams and experiences into memorable college application essays. I work with students everywhere: in-person, by phone, FaceTime, Skype and email. Visit my website for more info. Connect with me on Google+, Pinterest and Twitter.